In researching pools, there may seem to be infinite choices in pool design, leaving you wondering which style best suits your taste and backyard. As you view pools, you may see the terminology “rectangular” and “freeform”. Although the shape of rectangular pool is obvious, you may wondering what the benefits of a rectangular pool are as well as what a freeform pool is and what the benefits of that pool design are too. Let’s take a closer look at these two designs and see which one will be the perfect pool for you and your family.
Rectangular pools are one of the most popular, and standard, pool shapes available today. Relatively simple in nature, these pools create clean lines and are usually welcome in a variety of pool spaces. Rectangular pools are perfect for a more sophisticated and formal space and often tend to work well with the existing setting.
One great feature of rectangular pools is that they tend to have a lot of space for both swim and play. Provided that the pool will usually include steps and benches, pools with an open corridor are great for the possibilities of end-to-end swimming and play. Many rectangular pools also offer the amenity of depth. Deeper pools (2.5m or deeper) are great if you desire a diving board, and more shallow pools (around 1.5m) are great for playing games with all ages.
Leisure Pools currently offers 11 different composite fibreglass rectangular pools:
- Elegance – The Elegance offers a classic shape with a large swimming corridor and bench seat.
- Reflection – The Reflection is a standard rectangular shape with a large swim corridor, full-length bench seat, and the option to have either a splash deck or an auto cover.
- Acclaim – Another pool with a classic shape, the Acclaim features our patented high water line and an expansive splash deck. Its expansive swim area is perfect for power swimmers.
- Elite – Featuring minimal but perfectly arranged steps and swim out benches, the Elite also has a splash deck that stretches the entire width of the shallow end.
- Precision – The Precision has a beautifully modern look with a large splash deck that offers a multi purpose area for little ones to enjoy the pool with you.
- Harmony – The Harmony is a smaller and more shallow rectangular pool, but still offers plenty of space and a full-length bench seat.
- Esprit – A beautiful compact package, The Esprit combines all of the same popular design features of The Harmony, into a size that will fit into almost any backyard.
- Absolute – The Absolute is a deluxe rectangular pool. It has the standard features but also has a built-in spa and splash deck. The “Absolute” pool!
- Platinum Plunge – In many areas, space for a pool can be limited. The Platinum Plunge is the perfect pool for small spaces. Whether using it to cool off in warm weather, or adding a swim jet system for training, this plunge pool offers many options.
- Fiji Plunge – Good things come in small packages! The Fiji Plunge is a popular choice for those short on space, or who are comfortable with a smaller size pool.
- Olympus – As part of our popular Plunge Pool range, the Olympus at a compact 4.65m in length and 2.20m in width may be the perfect fit for smaller spaces.
Freeform pools are not any particular shape, in fact, the word “freeform” encompasses any pool that is flowing in design and does not fit into any other existing category. This pool shape typically has rounded edges and may even include large curved areas, making landscaping and features seemingly endless.
Freeform pools are perfect for blank-slate backyards. This means that you can customize the landscaping to fit the freeform shape of the pool. A cluster of palm trees in one curve, a nice swim-out bench in another! If you see your backyard as a paradise or an imaginative getaway, a freeform pool could help you create that perfect atmosphere.
Leisure Pools has five stunning freeform composite fibreglass pools that are perfect for any space and use:
- Riviera – The Riviera features gentle curves around the entire perimeter, giving it a subtle freeform shape. It has a large wrapped bench seat at the shallow end, leaving plenty of swim space.
- Allure – Much like the Riviera, the Allure holds a similar shape while offering a splash deck, built-in spa, and a deep end swim out seat.
- Tuscany – The Tuscany, which is a kidney shape, is a delight to the landscape. Its free form shape can also adapt well into difficult corner sites and can be maneuvered into places that many other more formal shapes won’t fit.
If you desire a pool design that has clean lines in addition to some curves, you have some perfect options.
- Moroccan – The Moroccan incorporates a rectangular look while having rounded corners and a nice curve on one side that’s perfect for unique landscaping or for adding a Tanning Ledge. The Moroccan also provides end-to-end swimming with not one, but three entry points. It’s a spacious pool the entire family can enjoy.
- Opulence – The design of the Opulence allows for the spa to be seamlessly included, without inhibiting the use of the pool in any way for swimming laps, playing games or general use.
- Horizon – The Horizon has an infinity edge, a long bench area, a flat bottom and optional storage areas. So many features packed into such a small space!
- Courtyard Roman – The Courtyard Roman offers the traditional Roman shape while being smaller in size and suitable for smaller spaces. It is also packed with features. It’s ideal for adding a swim jet system, spa jets, or even for playing games or relaxing.
The decision between a rectangular or freeform pool comes down to two general decisions: “What do I want to use my pool for?” and “What do I want my space to look like?”
Whatever you decide, your pool will definitely bring you and your loved ones joy and memories! We hope this article helped in picking the perfect pool.
View more information and images of these pools on our Pool Styles page to get Swimming in Quality & Style!