The wonderful thing about swimming pools is that everyone can enjoy them regardless of age, gender or even disabilities. Who doesn’t love a swimming pool? Pools are obviously great for swimming, but that’s not all they’re great for. Swimming pools can offer fun for activities like water aerobics while also providing therapeutic benefits.
According to research in the Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehab and Prevention, most people enjoy water-based exercise more than land-based exercise. Due to the buoyancy of water, swimming pools allow many individuals to exercise, where they wouldn’t be able to on land. The buoyancy and decreased gravitational force means that there is less stress on weight bearing joints, so movements that couldn’t be performed on land can be performed in water.
Who can benefit:
- People with Joint Injuries and Arthritis: Since movement can cause discomfort for those with joint pain or arthritis, aquatic exercise eliminates the load joints bear during exercise, reducing pain.
- Senior Adults: Older adults often have difficultly performing weight bearing or high impact exercise like running due to joint pain. Swimming pools offer the opportunity to do water jogging, water aerobics, or even yoga in the water.
- Pregnant Women: Swimming pools can provide relief from pregnancy pain and discomfort according to the National Swimming Pool Foundation. It also provides a fun, low impact form of exercise for pregnant women.
- Children and Adults with Disabilities: Pool exercises can allow people with disabilities to shed the shackles of the disability. For example, the water offers freedom and movement for people who may be blind, paralyzed, or who have developmental disabilities.
- Water Aerobics: Anyone can have fun with water aerobics no matter the age. Water aerobics can strengthen both the upper and lower body and provides great cardiovascular exercise.
Whether you’re looking for a new form of exercise with water aerobics, or looking to receive the benefits of aqua therapy, a swimming pool is a great addition to your home. Be sure to contact Leisure Pools today (www.leisurepools.com.au) and get Swimming in Quality and Style.